Monday, February 28, 2011

Jason lost his Head, and now he's lost his law license.

As small firm guy, and as a real property litigator, this Virginia bar opinion caught my attention for two reasons.  First, when a lawyer fails to record deeds, it is usually just the first thread of a frayed practice.  Pull that thread and you'll find things like unpaid recording fees, and ultimately missing IOLTA or escrow funds. 

But as a small firm lawyer, I was in awe of this fellows attempts to over-sell his firm.  He represented multiple fake locations, he posted a video on his website depiciting a lay person as a lawyer, he included descriptions of false "practice groups," and used pronouns like "we" to describe the lawyers in the offfice.....but there was only Mr. Head.

Ballsy.....and stupid.

So, for the record, I am the only lawyer here.  Mr. Young is enjoying his retirement, and I have chosen to surround myself with very talented folks who make me more effective.  A few of them may even pass the bar and become excellent lawyers.  And while I practice in multiple locations, they are usually places like "home," or "the beach house," or "ski lodge," and "the train."  I just can't fit them all on a business card.